Monday, January 19, 2009

I'm humbled and inspired

I am still trying to read through all of the e-mails that I have been receiving from women all around the Coast Guard. I can't begin to tell you how amazing they have been.

I have lost count of the number of e-mails I have received. I think we are over 180 at this point. They have been overwhelmingly in support of reviving CGWLA (I think we have had 4 negative responses so far.) I wish I could share with everyone the heartfelt, thoughtful, insightful e-mails I am reading. There are so many stories of women who have needed an ear, a helping hand, or the insight of someone who has gone before her, and has not been able to find anyone. It saddens me to think of the struggles that people have faced - they are so much easier when shared.

Yet, at the same time, I am heartened by the many stories I have also read of women reaching out to other women, offering their experience and wisdom to help others along the way. And, I am so excited about CGWLA! I think this organization can provide a forum for women to find others to share ideas and lend a helping hand. Many of the stories were similiar - for example, units where there were only a few women, all E-3s, with no senior women (enlisted or officer) to use as mentors. I can only imagine how itimidating it would be to be one of 3, brand new to the Coast Guard, trying to find your way in this wonderful but challenging branch of the military...

Please know that if my e-mail response to you seemed a bit short, or you haven't even received a response yet, it is because I have been flooded with responses. I'm trying to respond to everyone as quickly as I can. I, too, am trying to juggle the requirements of my Coast Guard job and those of my new daughter at home (almost 8 months old and cute as a button). So, forgive my short responses. Know that I, and the other 4 women reviving this organization, are reading each and every response we receive.

Thanks again for your stories, your candor, your offers to assist, and the inspiration you are providing me. Soon that inspiration will be flowing between all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment